- Data We Collect
When you visit the Website, we collect the following personal information (collectively, “Website Visitor Information”):
a) From You
We collect certain personal information from you when you provide it to us directly. For example, when you sign up to receive our newsletter, you provide us with your first and last name, and your email address, or you may provide us with your mailing address if you participate in a promotional marketing event.
b) From Your Browser or Device
Whenever you use any online service, certain information gets created and logged automatically; the same is true when you visit our Website. Here’s what we collect:
- Log. When you visit our Website (whether on your computer or on a mobile device), we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login/logout times, and duration of time spent on our Website.
- Device. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using to access the Website; this includes the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something goes wrong.
- Pixels. We also use pixels: a type of technology placed on a website or within the body of an email for the purpose of tracking certain activity, such as views of a website or when an email is opened. Pixels are often used in combination with cookies.
- Click-through URLs. If you receive newsletters, updates, or other information from us, our emails may use a “click-through URL” linked to content on our sites. When you click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our sites. We use this click-through data to help us understand how recipients respond to, or interact with, our emails. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, please do not click text or graphic links in emails you receive from us.
Summary: When you visit our website or receive an email from us, we collect certain information from you in order to provide our services. This includes information you give us directly, such as your first and last name; information provided from your browser or device, like log data and cookies. Our website, along.org, does not collect personal information from students.
- Use of Your Data
Gradient Learning does not sell, rent or lease your personal information to others. We use your information for the following business purposes only:
a) Website Visitor Information
We use the personal information we collect about visitors to our Website as follows:
- To provide and maintain the Website. We use the information we collect to provide or serve our Website, and maintain and improve the Website, including understanding the content that Visitors find valuable.
- To provide information you’ve requested, such as our newsletter.
- To communicate with you (for example, to respond to an email or submission from you).
b) Other Service Information
We use information from third-party online services like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (collectively, “Other Services”) to understand the particular materials that we posted or linked to that users of those Other Services found most valuable and to inform our marketing efforts.
Our Website does not include advertisements for third-party goods and services. However, we may use advertising to promote Along itself, such as by using your email address or cookies to direct ads for Along to you on third-party sites, including on Other Services.
Summary: We take your privacy seriously. We do not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to others. In limited cases, we might use your personal information for certain business purposes—such as contacting you to answer questions that you’ve submitted to our team, or helping us understand which parts of the website are most valuable. We do not advertise third-party goods or services, but may advertise for Along itself on other websites.
- Sharing Your Data
Except in the instances listed below, we will not disclose your personal information to others unless you consent to it, nor will we ever sell your personal information to advertisers or other third parties. However, we share your information in the following ways:
a) Third Party Service Providers
Gradient Learning works with vendors, service providers, and other partners that help us provide the Website by supplying services on our behalf. These services include, for example, sending emails, performing statistical analysis, database management services, database hosting, providing customer support software, and security. In the course of providing these services, our service providers may have access to your information, including personal information. Our service providers include the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (“CZI”), with whose support we provide the Services and this Website.
b) Legal and Safety Reasons
We may disclose information if we believe in good faith that it’s necessary (a) in connection with any legal investigation; (b) to comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; (c) to protect or defend our rights or property or users of our Services or others; and/or (d) to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law.
c) Reorganization, Sale, or Merger
We may share your information in connection with a merger, reorganization, or sale of all or a portion of our organization or assets related to Gradient Learning. In the event of a merger, reorganization, or sale of assets, the buyer or other successor entity will continue to be bound by the terms of this Privacy Notice.
Summary: We will never share your personal information without your consent. There are certain cases where we might need to share anonymized information with third parties -- for example:
● To allow third-party service providers, including CZI, to provide you with Along’s website.
● To disclose information that we believe is necessary for legal and safety reasons.
4) Your Choices Regarding Your Data.